Translate

Friday 22 May 2015

Reviving 'Curley Tail'

Miss 4 was given a soft Pig pillow/toy for her birthday from her BFF. She absolutely loves it. She was sleeping with it, dragging it around the house, wanting to take it to Nan Nan's house etc. Within a couple of days it was starting to fall apart. The seams were ripping and the little plastic dots on the bottom of it were falling off (everywhere).
   
    
Spotlight had a sale on Minky fabric, so I decided to buy a metre of it and fix 'Curley Tail'. Miss 4 picked hot pink.
I unpicked/ripped off the back of the pig and used the pieces as a pattern for the Minky.
   
I was nervous to use Minky because I heard that it was really difficult to use. I googled it and people were advising to use pins every 2cm because the fabric slipped, so I went overboard with pinning it.
  
The back legs were seperate, so I did them and stuffed them first. Yep, the first one I did I forgot to leave a gap to turn it the right way round. Miss 4 was very happy with the back legs and was using them as a pillow.
  

The sewing went fine and I didn't have a problem with slipping. Then I thought all those pins were unnecessary, so I pinned high up and added a few pins where I was going to sew.
Then I couldn't be bothered with all those pins, so just pinned it normally. It wanted to slip a little bit, but nothing that couldn't be easily controlled.

Once I sewed the body, I realised I needed to sew the legs into the body and not just attach them. Therefore I had to unpick so I could sew in the back legs.
Once I turned it the right way and stuffed it, it was just a simple matter of machine sewing the gap.
  

  
Miss 4 loves it. Even I couldn't stop cuddling it. It seems much thicker now, but that it probably just that my seams were bigger. I thought that the hot pink wouldn't work with the colour of the fur, but it was a really good choice. Very happy with the result. I think it looks fantastic!
Thanks,
Jayne

No comments:

Post a Comment